Monday, October 13, 2008

Munich Sept 2008

We were flying airfrance this time. Good service and free wine, why I was quite excited. I was a little worried about the wretchedly uncomfortable seats, but, luckily, this was not the case for our outbound flight. No, it was the unbelievable back pain from trying to sleep in a seat designed for a much smaller child. I really didin't remember the seats being so narrow.


The second flight, from Paris to Munich was much better. The air rest was able to descend fully, as my hips weren't overlapping into the next seat. I got at least 20 minutes of sleep and the croissant wasn't full of chocolate. I know, as a woman, I am obligated to love chocolate in all its forms, but first thing in the mornin? C'mon!



But this reminds me I am ahead of my self and now shall I begin my food journal for this trip properly.


Day One: Tuesday, Sept 16

I met Rachel for lunch at Rebecca's before the flight. I had the turkey & apple sandwich and an Orangina. What is it about Europe that just screams for an Orangina?


The turkey & apple is a fantastic sammie. I know I should be saving my praise for all the fantastic food I'll be having in Europe, but bear with me. Whole grain bread, Vermont cheddar, grannie smith apples, honey mustard, and smoked turkey. So good, but I digress.



I met Keith at the airport. He has the good sense not to go to work the same day as he flies out to Europe, nor to go to work the day after he gets back. Unlike me, but more on that later. keith hadn't eaten yet that day (3:30pm), so we went to the little restaurant outside of security, where he had a cheeseburger. I'll never forget the certainty with which he said "yes" to the offer of bacon on said burger. And, oh lord, did he send that burger back when it failed to arrive with that bacon.



On the plane:

God, how I hate these planes that hold five, six hundred passengers. Why! Why weren't my parents better with money so I could afford to purchase a seat at 10 times the cost, so I could actually sleep!!


Dinner:

Some jerk a few rows behind me had the temerity to ask the stewardess "why" he must put his seat up during the meal service. Her reply, "To be polite."

Salmon w couscous. This was actually salmon with taboule. A cold salad that was nutty and oily. Not bad. Beef with mashed potatoes. The beef was chewy. Bleh. Keith had the chicken. I was shocked and disappointed to find the cheese offered was Monterey Jack. What? on Air france? Where is my brie? Also came with a spongy, chocolate-berry cake and some stale baguettes.

Airfrance, you are dead to me.
Breakfast on the plane:
some rolls with chocolate, strawberry yogurt, and coffee. I only had tea.

So, the hotel wouldn't let us check in until 2:00. We went to this place near the hotel called Die Lounge. It was dead when we got there (a little before noon).

No comments: